www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Soda Stream Flippers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

This rule puts a lot of pressure on the EO.

"7.2.4. All components must be used within the specs provided by the manufacturer or supplier. If the specifications aren't available or reliable, then it will be up to the EO to decide if the component is being used in a sufficiently safe manner."

I could imagine Brett working 100 hours a week in the lead up to Robowars and several builders coming up to him in the last week before the event with robots that don't follow the rules. They would all be wanting to get permission to compete and Brett would be conflicted between his obligations to Sidetrack and his compassion for the builder. Lucky Brett.

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:00 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, at present there's only 1 soda stream flipper, and 1 or 2 high pressure flippers in the country, but if they get a lot more popular than they presently are, then I can see this being as problem..

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Philip, We had some experience with low-pressure rams with the original 12KG version of Ballistic.

At the Annihilator we popped the ends out of a couple of $5 Supercheat Tyre pumps.
These were set up with exhaust ports but the brittle plastic end cap did break after a number of flips.

The point I am trying to make is that all that happened was the piston popped out of the end of the tube but as it is attached to the flipper it couldn’t go anywhere, it was still attached to the bot.

We put a check strap on to fix that problem but when the weight went to 30Lb we put a commercial ram in so no more trouble.

This is more of a don’t put your head to close to the bot when testing situation.

Quote Rotwang”--The ram must have exhaust ports of XX area so at the normal working extension as assembled in the bot the ports are below the piston and can therefore vent the gas. “

Quote Mario
”If somebody wants to build a 1 shot ram or a stroke and powerlimited ram, why not? This is not a safety issue with a good build ram.”

There is a lot of talk on the FRA forum regarding using 150lbs rated rams at 800 Lbs stronger thru bolts etc so I can see where you have got a lot of these ideas from and your own systems with hi pressure hi flow systems, buffer tanks at bottle pressure etc.

http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.uk/fraforum/messages/9/845.html?1093249240

This is a question that popped up on the FRA forum to, they didn’t seem at all worried about it and seemed happy with just a static test with the stroke limited to below the holes.

There main concern was it was too conservative and more power was to be had doing it differently. Smile

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:32 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Rotwang:
There is a lot of talk on the FRA forum regarding using 150lbs rated rams at 800 Lbs stronger thru bolts etc so I can see where you have got a lot of these ideas from and your own systems with hi pressure hi flow systems, buffer tanks at bottle pressure etc.

http://www.extremefightingmachines.co.uk/fraforum/messages/9/845.html?1093249240

This is a question that popped up on the FRA forum to, they didn’t seem at all worried about it and seemed happy with just a static test with the stroke limited to below the holes.

There main concern was it was too conservative and more power was to be had doing it differently. Smile
Gary, I didn't just get ideas from the FRA guys. Mario de Jongh built the ram that was in Marauder and is now in Devistator. He also had the ram certified for full bottle pressure. Mario is also building my next ram.

I am happy with any inovation or modification that any builder makes. I would just like to see the ram certified after modification.

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:32 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I might not have mentioned it but the place I work for does brake parts, we make hoses and pressure test and stamp them.
The FRA people were happy with just a static pressure test, I offer to do a static pressure test, something I do on the brake parts and you wont an Independent test, I could get one of the other guys to do it if you don’t trust me.
I wasn’t sure if your concern was the end popping off due to the holes or something else?

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:39 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Gary, I think that would be ideal if you could have your work place certify the modified rams.

My main concern is that a novice builder would read about the Stealth style system and modify their ram in a foolish manner and injure themselves or others. Insisting on certification of modified rams is an international standard that IMO is a benefit to all of us that want to see this hobby continue.

IMO it does not matter if you are the person at work testing the ram or another person. The piece of paper certifying the component is the thing that someone like an WHS would be interested in, not the operator of the test.

IIRC the hydraulic test must be done to give a safe working pressure of the modified ram of 200% of the maximum gas pressure to which the modified ram will be subjected.

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

We normally test the hoses to 3000psi so a couple of hundred is not a problem, Will do a bit of research and have a play with my soda stream when I get my hands on it. I dare say Ajax will have a good idea on a suitable final test figure and number/size of vent holes once he has had time to tinker. Smile

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I have a soda stream unit I can donate to the cause.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:02 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

One thing to remember is that commercial rams (SMC, Festo, etc) are rated to around 145 psi, some 150 psi.

So minor mods to a Ram when using a soda stream system, will not affect them and there are enough people with good engineering knowledge to say if something looks over modified, there for certification required.

If you use Swag loc gear that is even higher again. Swage loc starts at 1000 psi and go up from there.
But you will pay for their gear. A basic swage loc fitting starts at $8.00. A plug is $6.00

I upgrading a Laser cutter to run Nitrogen at a max of 250psi with a very high flow rate, I used Swage Loc gear. $2,500 later I had all the parts needed. If it was only running at 145 psi it would not of reached $500

I do plan on some testing; I have most of the gear to test everything.
It will be configured to be able to cope with full bottle pressure.
I plan on being able to data log results. Just not sure when it will be ready yet.
Need shelving, work bench and a very good clean up in the garage!
and that is in amongest work and finding new clients.
It's fun starting up a new business.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:13 pm