www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

ROBOlympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Andrew; I' feeling really poor right now Smile

I am working on upgrades to Basilisk Mag at the moment, but I don't know if it's good enough to take on the US bots yet. if I re-designed it for the US, I get 1.4 Kg extra weight over what it weighed a Marayong 7. That could be used on more batteries, armour and such. It would be a total rebuild and would need quality titanium welding too.

I am keener on a group effort (or taking several bots) to get us building to a higher level and raising the local standards.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:17 pm 
andrew

Well basilisk mag current version could squeeze in a 24 volt pack. may be tricky but doable me thinks.

If not then i could help in teh build of one of them also. I am not sure if i can go (seriously doubt it) but i will help in any way possible. and in return u can get me some team t-shirts or something while there and photo's Very Happy.

Basilisk mag at 24 volts would give them a challenge and such. i know u could seriously do some damage with that thing and provided we iron out some bugs etc it would be effective.

Maybe is a certain perosn focus's on a certain robot or something to work on and then we all meet up and such and get them done.

Well if glen and his crazy family go (only kididng mate) then ciobra is one robot and he can help u on others too. dont forget that there are other weight limits as well. Maybe build a 12 pounder if u r keen and have some spare drills round. or maybe even a sozbot.

i will help in any way possible.

Also nick u dont need titanium welding do u. if its for a wedge then just have some hinges or something bolted to it.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe well as far as the killabyte thing goes it just keeps winning in true RDC fashion, because the build them robust and build them to keep going. ive only seen killabyte be immobilised 3 times to my knowledge. twice to morpheus after being jammed under the wall and once to a wire falling off or something like that. as its been said, the RDC bots are just bricks with spinning shells

squnkey while looking impressive, doesnt strike me as insanely robust. many robots have hacked it apart, noticably killabyte at battle at the beach, sunflower and vd3 at wcr. after all its just a bracket job like mine (which as you proved is prone to pretty nasty damage).

im still amazed how the US bots can withstand such massive hits when they tap into material thickness wise. it just seems so wrong...

but on to the point, i think the whinches while showing impressive performance, have
a) to much bulk for what they can provide
b) need wheels far to big to get the right speed (like 150mm +)

from what i infered from aaron, youve basically got to remake the shaft, take the last stage of gears out and remake the housing (or cut it off to some extent or something).

i think your thingaps would do the trick, but first i would like to see them in minotaur 1.2 again! they need a good running in at marayong 8 i think Very Happy

basilisk is a pretty nasty bot, and it makes me shudder at the thought of him putting a spinning shell on it, thats basically all the weight from the frame put into the spinner. thats basically how the get such a collosal mass into the shell. think about a mag at 24v with a 4.5kg shell. totally nasty.

as for my efforts, where still talking it over at school trying to get about 2 weeks off. looking OK so far. but im thinking incoming may mutate into some kind of ultra thwackbot unlike anything seen before!

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I started up a weight tracking spreadsheet for an ultra-low bot using the thingaps - turns out I can only use 2 of them if I want any armour. I came up with this crazy side rail made with a 9mm ali angle section and 3mm titanium armour. Not exactly light, but not likely to bend, either.

Any thoughts on how thick armour needs to be to stand up to a 30lb shell spinner?

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i think 3mm titanium sounds good.

ill have to start fiddling around in rhino now ive got spare time, its useful for working out weights and things.

with 2x thingaps and gearboxes, and 2x 14.4v 3300mah nimh battlepacks it should be a lighter than normal drive.

the top and bottom armour could be far lighter as there isnt any good hammer bots around, 3mm ali or 6mm lexan should be sufficient.

but remember angling the armour means we need less.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Also means that there is a less likely of a spinner grabbing something and u can also use it as a wedge
look at biohazard for instance. it has whooped the best of them because u just cant do much with it.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:37 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I will get a drawing over to you somehow later today - plain old email OK?

The side rail is triangular, with the Ti forming the 45deg. sloped outside. I figured that a handy wheel size is 65mm OD and around 25mm wide so a sprocket can fit on the end of the motor shaft and drive a second wheel.

To fit the batteries in, we will need to make flat packs like El Bravo has - standard RC car packs would also do. The internal hight is the same as the gearbox - 38.1mm

What could we call an ultra thin & fast bot like this?

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:38 pm 
andrew

Also team infernolab did a featherweight using 4 thingaps for drive and its called thinferno

will look for a picture if u want

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

If I'm able to go to ROBOlympics, I'm going to look at building an undercutter. After reading a lot of US bot sites, having chunks taken out of there colson wheels really causes problems (Alos lost part of its front wheel and the drum started hitting the floor).

I also looked at Killabyte and the best way to beat that thing is to do a Chopper VS Ziggo and take the wheels out. This will hopefully work for Helios and many other Yankee bot Twisted Evil

Now just the problem of fitting it all together Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:55 pm 
robo robbo

Just a suggestion that it doesn't have little skirts around the side because if they are damaged and buckle they could stop the wheels for spinning properly.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:20 pm 
decalkins

>also looking at the safety checks, it mentions that
>your bot may go into a 'death spin' if it gets inverted
>with a gyro inside. NFI what that is.

If you have certain switches, they can get closed into the "on" position when you spin up too fast.

This happened once in Pennsylvania while I was judging. TornadoMer - It was basically a disc shaped bot with a spinning blade atop it. Well, it managed to get flipped on it's side, and somehow the blade stopped spinning and the bot started spinning. The saftey got stuck into the on position (no one ever imagine the bot would spin while the blade was stationary). Had to wait until the batteries MELTED.

It was REALLY cool... Shocked

>I was looking over stats on the RFL site; The "best" 30 lb
>bot registered for the Robolympics so far is Killabyte,
>yet it doesn't come any near the top 10 bots in the RFl results database.

Irrelevant. Most people don't register til the last week. Expect a full 32 bots based on last years registration.

Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:18 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Also team infernolab did a featherweight using 4 thingaps for drive and its called thinferno

will look for a picture if u want

Infernolab don't mention this one on their site at all. I could only find any mention of it competing at Botbash 2003 and there wasn't much info about performance.

The photo I found shows it has a very shallow wedge and weird double walls. My initial design (hope you got the preview) looks more compact and has sloped sides.

Even though its a lightweight, if you find any battle reports, I would be interested to read them.

Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:49 am 
andrew

the plan u sent me via email sounds cool dude.

Just one more thing, get basilisk mag going at 24 volts and take it over. i think u will do very well.

Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:25 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks Andrew, a 24v pack only weighs 352 grams more than my 18v ones so I could fit one in the weight limit. After seeing what happens to drill motors in Cobra @ 24v, I might have to use something else Wink those SS2 motors will fit straight in with no mods.

I am going to make the chassis a bit bigger & stronger next month so the 24V pack will fit right in - only problem is the local weight limit will be exceeded by a kilo or more if I build it for the Robolympics.

Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:48 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

nick..... .if you are planning on filling basilisk with steroids i would preffer you tested it on a steel block i can get for you and not us lol Very Happy

Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:27 pm