www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

NSW robot display?

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

NSW robot display?

Hey guys.
I was pretty impressed with the QLD guys (and VIC's) effort in putting together a robot display. I know his hobby tends to be pretty secluded as our robots tend to last only a few weeks before being trashed or rebuilt, and the wider public rarely, if ever, sees them. The yearly events are great, but I feel there's a huge resevoir of untapped robot builders in the sydney area, and they just need to now that robowars Aus exists before they get into building their own machines of carnage! Very Happy

The usual problems exist to get around, eg licensing, OH&S and possible costs, but I think if others and I put some effort asking around we might be able to sort out a small display. Perhaps in pit street or something, I know buskers are allowed there (do they have permits?), so maybe some stationary robots and a wedge bot demo? Smile
Let me know your thoughts.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Public street displays in the city would have massive paper work attached and you would mostly be getting professionals & shoppers passing by. I always thought that having a sideshow and a somewhat related sports event might get a more targeted audience. It might even sneak under the general event insurance cover...

I suggested an R/C car racing event, but Chris wasn't sure they would allow it. Some other model / car / hobby event perhaps? If we do this as a recruiting drive, it would be necessary to develop some promo material to hand out and a video wouldn't go astray.

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:01 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's true.
Also there is not a great number of rc clubs in the inner city area. Infact they only start to form around the far edges of sydney!
I would also think various engineers would probably be interested. Just because rc car drivers use rc gear, doesn't mean they'll be interested in robots. The two are really quite different if you look at it. We're more about brute force than delicate setups... But might be worth a shot. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I wonder if the school's robot program would let us in? They used to ahve a big thing going with Lego kits. Finding a good audience is always going to be difficult - model engineering shows are possible but again their interests could be too far off. I don't remember hearing that hordes of people became bot builders after the Melbourne Engineering show...

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:02 pm 
andrew

i did the robotics course in year 9-10 of hgh school with mindstorm and lego and computers and shiz, was alot of fun to say the least

Expo's at some form of metalwork thing caus at my old school metalwork there was pretty serious, people made some cool stuff (barbecue's, stretched out bicycles and such) so it may get some interest.

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:22 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I brought cataclysm in once for the school "open night" and they used it as an example of their "enrichment program" even though it was nothing to do with it. I always get interest when I bring a bot in, and think I've found someone in yr 12 who might want to get involved.
Actualy, I think we should get that free to air TV robot combat program done, that could be interesting. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:48 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy it is a topic many have discussed and thousands of ideas have been thrown around .
What i have found in talking to folks is that to build a combat robot you need to put in a huge amount of work , even the blokes near my workshop ,who are all engineers and have all the best equipment money can buy ,see robots as a bit of waste of effort just to smash it up and trust me they could build robots that would put us all to shame
what you need to do is stop and think about it and you will realise that what we do for fun 99% of the general public think is down right madness
they love watching it thats for sure and yes they would pay to see it
brett has held several hugely succesful public events and thousands of spectators in australia have seen what we do ,but sadly i dont think 1 single person has joined the building ranks from seeing the events live
combat robots are a very unique hobby and in the few years we have been doing it its gone along nicely i reckon .in sydney if we all managed to turn up we would have around 12 or so robots which for a 6 hour event is great
what if we had 30 or 40 every event ,which in a city of 4 million does sound possible
but at what cost ,if that did happen sadly administration would need to be set up, massive costs ,large venue facilities and governing bodies would need to organise these events
just ask brett and see what he would say if he had to organise an event with 30 robots every 4 weeks
things of that size blow up very quickly next thing someone gets hurt or someone doesnt like something and it all falls to bits
i wanna be doing this in 20 years time ,so if in sydney we grow at the same rate as we have ,in 5 more years we will have 20 or so robots at every comp round .......patience grasshopper Wink

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Right o Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:43 pm