RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

RC cars, planes, boats, heli's etc talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol yeah youll get busted sooner or later Razz stick some naptha in the tank

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

When $4000 rc jets go bad Laughing
Warning, look away if you own one... Twisted Evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5JtpYIKmaU&mode=related&search=
If you don't, watch it, it's great Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:43 pm 
TeamFroggy

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
When $4000 rc jets go bad Laughing
Warning, look away if you own one... Twisted Evil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5JtpYIKmaU&mode=related&search=
If you don't, watch it, it's great Laughing

The sad thing is $4000 is an entry level jet, most of those in the video would be double that.
At a recent jet meet at Coolum, one of the local guys from around here debuted a new jet complete with thrust vectoring nozzle. Unfortunatley this plane had a kero start system so when starting the turbine, there was some raw fuel leaked into the fuselage of the plane then when the tubine fired the resulting 3 foot flame out the rear set fire to the unburnt fuel inside the plane. Anyway they sorted all these problems and proceded to fly the plane. The wires for the servo's that control the vectoring nozzle had been burnt and midflight the servo jamed the nozzle full in 1 direction. The pilot began to loose control and while trying to regain it, powered on and the plane went into a spin and crashed into the bushes.
Here is a pic of the fire http://202.173.151.96/forum/images/rjockisch/2006712131153_Dscf8195.jpg
And here are some pics of the crash along with some other action from the meet.
http://202.173.151.96/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1910
enjoy

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:09 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Damn... Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

*Watches Angus' idea of buying a "cheap" jet plane fall out of the sky and explode on the ground*

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:07 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

how freaky, went out to tregear race track today and saw my cousin and uncle there with an imperial assload of buggies and cars and this gigantic 4wd 4 wheel steer truck that literally split one of its tires off Very Happy

also got foamies 38 front and rear (it is IMPOSSIBLE to drive on the track without them) and some 20% fuel and a cooler glow plug (A5) so ill have to retune the thing for it. on that note which needles do i adjust? i hear the idle one must stay at factory setting and the low end and high end need adjustment. is that how it goes?

they reckon 20% fuel in a .15 engine was pushing it so what do you think nick? marhsal? im out of 5% now Sad but with it all tuned up it was still beating a few of the other 1/10th nitros weee. just need to learn to drive it lmao... keeps spinning out in the turns, seems like you need to keep the power on to keep it straight.

and im going out racing with them on tuesday yey Very Happy

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TeamFroggy

The key to knowing how to tune a glo motor is knowing what the different components of the fuel do. Methanol, 65 - 80% of the fuel is the fuel and is very flamable. Oil, castor or synthetic or a blend, 12-20% of the fuel is your lube to keep everything slick. The bit that confuses most people is the nitro, without getting to technical, nitromethane on its own is not flamable and requires the methanol to make it burn, when it is burnt nitro releases gases that act like a chemical supercharger causing a bigger bang. To properly tune the motor you need to look at the combination of chemicals in your fuel, more nitro with the same amount of oil means less methanol to create the catalitic reaction and ignite the fuel. This reaction is only created between methanol and platinum ( the little wire in the glow plug), infact I have seen high compression 2 stroke glow motors fire with no power to the glow plug at all. So as the methanol content in the fuel drops you need to compensate with more surface area of platinum, thicker wire does this and is called a colder plug. The OS A5 plug is a colder plug than the good old #8. At revs, most hot plugs will usually be ok with methanol being as little as 50% of the fuel, the problem really arises at idle when there is just not enough methanol to create the catalytic reaction to make the plug glow, this is where the colder plug, with more platinum helps the engine run, the increase in surface area make up for the lack of methanol and generates the same amount of reaction.
Now for your particular aplication, Glen, I don't believe 20% nitro is to much for that motor, but I also do'nt think you would see a noticable difference in performance between 10% and 20%. Are you racing it at competition levels? If not then you are probably wasting money on nitro, it is the most expensive component of the fuel.
When you tune these glo motors, main (high speed) mixture is done first, as this meters the total fuel feed to the carby, any major adjustment here will sightly alter the secondary mixture. The secondary mixture screw, commonly called the idle or low speed mixture is done second. The idle that you mentioned Glen, seems to be the idle stop and will need to be adjusted if the car is idling to fast or slow. Changing the nitro content in your fuel wont require major adjustments on the mixtures and remember that any adjustments should only be very small. I make it a rule never to turn a needle more than 1/16th of a turn in one go. If your not sure on how exactly to tune the motor, go to the track with your car and ask a few guys what they think, often its a matter of listening to how an engine revs, idles and transitions between that tells the person what to do.
As for driving them, well I'm no expert but I get by and I could understand you needing to keep the power on to keep it straight. Cars just don't seem to do it for me, sure they are a bit of fun but theres nothing like the rush of flying a 6.5kg warbird with one wingtip about to scrape the ground on a high speed gallery pass. Like this http://202.173.151.96/forum/images/Flash%20Gordon/2006515162351_IMG_3789.jpg

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:59 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by andrew:
Hello, after the crappyness of my last created ride on thing i thought since i never have time/enthusiasm for anything like it to not bother and simply buy something to play with

So for $300 i got me this
\

Been riding since i got it and man its alot of fun, has a good amount of power too and i have not reeached peak speed yet for fear of dieing, but yeah with slight runup it owned a steep hill down road and took it across a muddy park wearing a white shirt which was a lil silly Very Happy

Lets see how much the cops like me if they pul me over on it next event hmm

Man there cool i had of the super bike models.

Some tips are replace as many bolts as possible with high quality ones and locktite as those bikes lose alot of bolts and make sure they are all tight as i did the usual thing of meh shell be right when i took it out of the box and lost a few bolts lol.

Another thing putting a better spark plug in and rubber boot "eg" thing that gose over the top of the spark plug" will make it run better.

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol indeed it is cool, we had it running out in the bush out the back of my place and it really revs up pretty hard, i had the back wheel of the ground a few times at full speed but andrew was too wussy to even go full speed on it xD and yes you where welch, i never heard that engine peak out Razz spark plug i reckon needs to get changed, it kept randomly dying at full power. i thought it was the mixture.

thanks for the tips on that marshal, the guy said i could get synthetic or castor based fuel so i went with the castor stuff (cant remember his reason for it ... lol) as for competition running soon i shall with my cousins out at penrith so that will be an interesting experience Smile the 5% was going really really well and was about the same as most cars there except for ones that looked like those TC-3 cars with nitro motors in em which where pretty insane speed wise. hopefully ill get some form of power kick from the new fuel.

ill get this last tank of 5% out tommorow and start running it in with the better stuff. and on a better note i havent had the cvd shafts fall out again Smile

hope i can work out the tune though. the way its done now is golden. since theyve done it its fired up first pull every time Very Happy its certainly alot more fun than trying to spend 10 minutes starting it Razz

Post Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:17 pm 
andrew

bite me glen

granted u took the bigger risk but i still had fun

id rather go a lil slower and feel safe then got too fast feeling un easy, wipe out and have some nice gravel rash or worse to show for it

thanks tim, for 300 im very happy, tis funnnnnn

one thing i really want to change is that damn exaust setup somehow, it reduces ground clearance so bad with setup it has now

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:25 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
have some nice gravel rash

because you get awesome gravel rash on grass XD

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:51 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well finally ran out the last of the 5% fuel so i stuck in the 20%, definitely a nice power boost in the lower range if nothing at all.

after going to the courts and coming home 20 minutes later unable to start the thing (arghh the glow plug battery?!?!) i got it hooning about out the front. its definitely alot faster in the straight now with the new fuel.

also discovered that the spektrums will not failsafe on low voltage in fact they just start twitching sending my car flying up the road into a gutter at full speed Crying or Very sad thankfully no damage at all except the exhaust pipe from the engine which got a bit of a ding at the end so ill peel that back out to shape and all shall be well.

definitely need some form of low voltage failsafe in there... i actually thought that it was going out of control because the engine was so hot it was just leaning out way to far at idle....

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:03 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Some cheap upgrades from web sites are a rocket key\timing advance block of metal that gose somewhere costs $9us plus postage around 6k gain plus better read valves like $20us around also 5-6k gain.

One trick some mechanics told me was grind off every fin on the fly wheel for less wind drag and weight but dont leave your bike idleing too long it kneeds to run round to stay cool.

Some other cheap upgrades are stiffer clutch springs or just shorten the spring and bend a hook back in it and stretch them back out so you can let the bike get up more rpm before the clutch kicks in for faster take offs.

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:58 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

btw anyone know how to get the residue that spughs out the exhaust some times when the engines too lean off concrete Confused Embarassed

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:34 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Try degreaser its only oil and carbon and unburnt fuel Very Happy

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:53 pm