www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Marayong 7 Robort Report

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Marayong 7 Robort Report

Well have to say it was a very fun event and i have written up a bit of a Prong eye veiw of my fights to hopefully entertain somewhat. I also uploaded some pics http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=29 and one is the fight board so check it out for fight orders etc. The first fight was Basilisk versus Plan B! Also just to ruin it for anyone who does not realise Bort and I won with our bot named Robort!

Its is early moring when i write this so if my spelling is bad then sorry Razz hehehe Also there was plenty of other good action from the day that i do not mention, i will leave it up to the owners of those bots to do it. Additionally i have some video's of these fights and will upload them if someone has somewhere i can upload them to?

Robort is basically a robot built by Bort and I from scrap steel tubing from an old shade cloth from the council cleanup. It has an arm that can move up or down via some threaded rod from an old car jack. On the end of the arm is a XU1 drill motor and gearbox with the chuck still on, with a 6.5mm drill bit in it. The plan is to ram under other bots then bring the drill down onto them and hopefully drill through into something vital.

The drive is two XU1 motors with red bunnings wheels, running from 3 XU1 drill batteries in parralell. An extra drill battery is run in series with these 3 to run the drill at 24v. The motor to drive the lifter arm up and down is also powered from the 12v. The controller is an old 4 channel Dick Smith controller from my Dad that is as old as i am! (20 btw Razz)

The robot is pretty ghetto, much is held together with tie wire and gaffa tape, and that was before any battles! This was the robot we did not quite finish for the Annihilator after breaking a video camera and having to spend the night organising another instead of working on the bot, so after a bit of extra work it was ready to go, with about a weeks total work in it.

First event we got drawn against the new and imporved Singularity, a pretty worrying opponent since it would be the test run for our bot Razz Anyway after learning to drive a little we had a nice battle, got the drll bit in Singularity's wheel gap, did not do any real damage, and we ended jammed together but nothing broke and it went to a judges descion and i happily won Smile

Next up after praying it would not happen we were drawn against Basilisk Sad This was pretty worrying so we decided our only hope for survival was to modify the drill arm into a flat scoop of sorts to get under Basilisk. This worked pretty well, with Basilsik running up it and tilting and hitting its own blade on the gorund and flipping over! It could not self right but was slowly working its way over to the wall where i was worried it might get grip and actually self right so i lifted up my scoop and tried to put it down on Basilisk to smother it a bit and keep it under control.
In hindsight this was not such a great idea as from the video it seems basilisk gets some grip on me and self rights, and then proceded to rip various chunks and huge bits off Robort. Fortunately the drive motors never got hit and i get ramming Basilisk to try and keep the weapon from spinning up to much. This worked ok, i took plenty of damage but could kinda end up sitting half on Basilisk. Eventually it was time and Robort was still alive and the judges decsions again went our way! Very Happy

Next up we had to fight Sorry. Robort was fairly beaten up, missing the front castor, the lifter arm was no more and it needed a lot of tape and wire to hold it back together! Bort and i basically turned the bot into a wedge, but jammed the drill back on sticking out from under the wedge in the hope we might get it into Sorry somwhere. The fight against Sorry was a hard one, lots of ramming by both of us and Sorry getting into us with the blade but not hitting anyhting critical. I claim that we removed a very small amount of Sorry's paint with our drill, but mainly were able to wedge underneath and get Sorry's wheels up so he could not drive around. The Judges again went our way so Bort and i won, making us very suprised and happy and the overall winners Smile Smile

Next up was the melee, so after getting some charge into the batteries for the first time in we went. With Bort driving we stayed out of trouble at first but i think Basilisk wanted revenge! We took a hammering, and having lost a wheel but not realised yet (the wheel was pulled off by pulling the washer over the drill screw Shocked ) we didnt have much hope when Basilisk headed back in to finish us off! Luckily Cobra leapt between Robort and Basilisk and saved us (we owe you one Cobra!) After that we were out of the melee. Checking out the damage after we found that Basilisk's blade had gone through one of our battery packs, but being the XU1 packs they were not full of cellsall the way, so it only went through the empty bit!

After the melee we challenged Singularity to a grudge match, and had to frantically screw our wheels back on and gaffer up our bot before Singulairty's batteries were run flat from people riding it! Unfortunately Singulairty lost a wire and we had to fight Woktronics instead, but our controllers interferred with each other Razz

All in all it was a kickarse weekend, and i can barely wait to get back in there next time! Thanks Jeff for hosting us again and to everyone who turned up an fought, specilaly to the people who gracioulsy let Bort and i win our first competition so we will be back next time to defend the title!

And thanks Bort for driving down from Bathurst that morning to be there! very cool Cool

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:30 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Wouldn't have missed it for the world. Great day!

Thanks all for being a part of it. I hope to make it to a few others as well.

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:24 pm