www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

ROBOlympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey nick,

me and my mum are VERY interested in taking the trek over to san fran for the ROBOlympics.

edit: just found the date, 24/3/05 looks like its about a week and a half out from the term 1 holidays. i reckon we can do it. just give us a while to figure out the details.

btw im guessing where all just dumping our minds and pockets into one mega bot for the trip Cool ?? (although i couldnt concieve leaving cobra behind!)

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think I'd realistically be able to go over there, but I can certainly provide some good bits, and build up some of it.

I also know where to get good woks Smile

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hopefully, it won't mean dumping ALL our pockets into the project! One of the jobs to be filled could be marketing/promotion and sponsorship.

If we could get 5 sponsors to contribute an average $500 each and some secondary sponsors to contribute services or materials, then we would have a pretty mean featherweight. If we went with a Mag powered weapon, then I would be kicking in at least $1K of parts.

For sponsorship, we might contact some returning olympic competitors and see what techniques they used. There is also a book on the subject available from Amazon and Robotbooks, I think.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:08 pm 
andrew

Glen tell your mum she is teh coolest ever. u r lucky to have one thats as enthusiastic as u r Very Happy.

If its only 1 week out form holidays then maybe i could go but theres the money issue still. Also not sure if my parents would be keen on me spending that much just on a robot trip (although it would rock) plus if i could bru that much money it would be in a robot anyway's and electric vehicles etc etc.

I am still a fence sitter but probably a no no.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hehe i think we both enjoy the trip as much as each other, the robots are just a bonus Razz

one think ive still got to check is can we use our FM radios or will we have to shell out for a PCM radio (which i believe is a requirement in some comps.)

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sounds cool. Having finished school this year, it might be possible for me to go. Nick, I think you aiming over our heads here, Magmotors and Thingaps with NPC gear boxes don't give you a higher win factor then a set of XU1 drills and a fan motor. I believe you can vouch for that.

If I'm able to pool up my resources to go, I'll be planning on taking something simple, probably a stainless steel armoured boxwedge rammer. A pure spinner killer since 90% of the US robots are spinners. I also have this wierd idea for a IC powered rammer Smile

Sponsorship would definately help us, but I would be focusing on building and travelling with out it and then if we manage to pick it up, it will cover our travelling costs.

My thoughts anyway.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:38 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Nick, I think you aiming over our heads here

Aim for the stars Arron! Sure, I don't have as many wins as most low tech robots, but that's probably 'cause I am a crappy driver - did you notice how much stuff was left on the floor after my fight with Robort or Plan B with El Bravo? The US bots will do 10 times that damage!

The competitors are basically the trinational winners and are very tough bots. A wedge would have to be part of any of our designs, but XU1 drills will not cut it in that arena! All the consistent US featherweight bots use drive motors at least as good as DeWalt drills.

About sponsorships: Companies want a return on their investment and its a rare thing to just get a donation. The return is usually media coverage, so If we took a cheapo bot that was likely to be eliminated in the first round, then sponsorships would not be likely. Today, it takes a business plan and measureable returns to get a good sponsorship.

I'm not trying to pile on negativity here, in fact I'm pretty excited about it. I have been looking at the lenghts that atheletes go to and we can try just as hard.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:37 pm 
robo robbo

I don't care if the bot doesn't have all the good parts. As long as we smash the Americans Twisted Evil

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Glen: I was specifically thinking about PCM and hitting the hobby stores up for something like a Futaba 7CAP or a something similar, depending on the bot and driver's requirements.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:44 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Oh, what have I started. Shocked

By the way is 40MHz an illeagal frequency in america?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robo robbo

I don't think that frequency is allowed but don't quote me on that one. Wink

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:55 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we would be interested in "chipping in"
if this 2.4 Ghz radio thing works then it may be a better solution than the lower frequency bots, full quater wave antenna is about 3 cm long and it would function acceptablly with much worse SNR than what the other radios will function on.

we may consider Plan-C class weponry for it too, current capibilities are looking at going through 6mm Al without much of a problem, to my knowlage there havent been any successfull lance type weps before?, might make for an unanticipated twist on the competition?

if they are wanted, belt drives are no problem, they seem to be much more robust than metal on metal gears at the expense of some size / volume, though we are looking at combining a planetary box with a belt for final reduction.

custom electronics are also availablle should we want them, the 2.4 ghz setup gives us full 2 way data path if we want it (and if it is proved successfull in battle)

we may also be able to donate/get donated carbon fiber in quantity though still some bugs to work out wrt curing it.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Jake. your electronics expertise would give us a definite edge. 2.4Ghz should be OK since the comp already allows IFI gear - we might have to make a special request but if nobody is on that band, I doubt there would be much dificulty.

On other electronics, your controller mods would be a must if we used an IBC, or if we used my Victor 885 cotrollers for more current, a smart mixer would be cool. Telemetry feedback and temp sensing would be neat extras but lets start basic and work from there.

I love you belt setup - it would win style tech points since I don't think anyone else is rolling their own. I think you could come up with a very superior wheel too. Do you think you could gear down the 17,000 rpm of my 350W Thingaps? The motors rock, even if the NPC gearboxes are out of commission.

Carbon Fibre? love it! I would like to see a CF space frame with a titanium skin. That might be going too far, but its worth researching.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:10 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

17k rpm is a whole lot of RPM
we do 6k rpm in 2 stages and its pretty big size wise
i think the best answer for those would be 2-3 stage planatary and a final belt to insulate the motor/box from shock.
heh we could probbly do kevlar belts and pidment them red if we were keen lol

the radio chips/modules that i'm using cover 100mhz in frequency, programablle so that shouldnt be a problem if they allow that band (providing the other bots dont use spread spectrum or something equally daft but even then it shouldnt bother us)

We have some ideas for light wheels either thin wall aluminium or possibly carbon. Plan-C will probbly see the Al wheels, Estimating 100 grams per wheel hopefully for the AL.

i think we will wind up building this bot more than once lol
it needs to be built once then fight against all of sydney
then build it again with the lessons learnt (and presumablly some driver training lol) then possibly repeat the process so our driver has *loads* of battle and driving time up his sleeve, that is one of the key factors, reliable bot, good controll, skilled driver, look at El B a bot wrong on so many levels but reliable and perhaps a driver with more "stick time" than most of sydney put togther lol.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
decalkins

The FCC doesn't like 40 Mhz remote controls.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't stop you.

Read into that what you will.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:22 am