www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Bane~Rotwang~Vic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Bane~Rotwang~Vic

Bane is going to be my new bot, after trying to drive Skelly at Robowars I am going for something that will be a lot easier to drive I hope.
I have got a POP coming together. Very Happy

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 am 
Mel
Site Admin

What are you talking about? You drove Skelly like a Pro!!!

Does this mean that Skelator is being scrapped? Crying or Very sad

Stay with it l reckon - he's a killer!

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:22 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Bane is a design that kept popping into my head during the Robowars event; he could also be used outdoors in UltiBot as is or reconfigured into a larger unit to take advantage of UltiBot weight limit in detail he is simply a horizontal thwack bot using scooter power.
At one time there was talk of building a bot for Barry’s son, then there is David’s melty brain plans and I have a few ideas as well, also I have been thinking about a Feather weight thwack while building Maestro, seeing Maestro in action probably inspired me too.
So ignoring the melty brain bit he is as bang the rocks together simple as I am prepared to go, Skelly is the other extreme, no I am not giving up on Skeletor, I have lots of Ideas and he did well considering he was un finished and un tested and seriously injured in his first fight.
There were meant to be anti vert spinner pongy sticks for Vertical limits and Orbits benefit but they didn’t get done.

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:36 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Reasonably pleased with Bane; sort of a love hate thing. Three blown IBC’s and one suspect [the one that froze in a spin at the end of the Jolt fight] at Brisbane sort of takes a bit of the shine off. Confused

I even went so far as buying the new IBC Brett had in stock to keep him going and the last fight against Singularity was using a borrowed IBC [Brett’s spare] and I dropped the voltage right off to keep that one alive so he was a bit slower for that fight. The dynamic braking was turned off as well and I was trying to be very gentle on the controls as far as avoiding sudden reversals and the consequent blow-ups.

It would seem that I have the opposite problem to Nicks thin gap troubles. The 250 gear motors just don’t like being turned off. The problem with Frag and Bender sticking relays on supports this theory.
One of these days I hope to see what is going on on a scope; I an building up a test rig and making up some diode and electrolytic capacitors as Jake suggested that I can quickly plug in along with whatever else I can think of that might fix the problem.
I am going to have to build a new version of Bane with lighter drives to allow some weight for the melty brain part of the plan, wont be as tough but its only a test.

One happy thought was that I think he would have worked well against Stealth, The dodgem car style belt worked well cushioning the flips and stoped him getting stood up on his side and he was spinning almost as soon as he touched down, its not imposable to get stood up against the arena wall but in a fight with Stealth I think I would try to keep well away from the wall.

One little mod will be to attach the axe head a bit better. Very Happy

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:39 pm 
andrew

Ha ha ha ha, gosh, yeah that was funny.

I was simply amazed u managed to shove two of them beasts into a featherweght myself, thought thed be too heavy nice work.

Just curious, how do u attach the wheels to the motor shaft for Bane and Maestro.

Thinking of changing lightweight plans to two of them for drive and some phat wheels and shizzle and using all my 300 watt setups in a random nar cart style thing that inspired me after seeing this project http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/team/kart/index.html

Change ev's with 300 watt motors and batteries being hawkers and thats what i wana do in a nutshell.

But yeah howd u attach wheels to 250 watt geared motor, did u direct mount wheel to shaft or did any mods, did u do a chain drive or something?

Thanx for any help

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:47 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

From what I saw, Bane was direct drive. Knowing Gary, he's probably just knocked up some adaptors for the wheels on the lathe.

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:01 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Well actually I used my lath to knock up some different shafts to the stock ones that the wheels attach to. Smile

There made out a couple of grade 8 bolts slightly turned down with old mag wheel nuts acting as spacer / adapters for the wheels to attach to.
That is Banes set up.

Maestro has 10 mm sockets welded to original scooter output shafts and short length of Allen key joining to the centre of wheel hub on the full floater wheel’s. As in Allen key drives wheel through centre of hollow axel.

Same idea as first used on The Acid Test.
Copes with a bit of miss alignment and absorbs some of the reversing shock, the motors in maestro are rubber mounted and the centres of the wheels are rubber mounted to the wheels. Smile

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just been checking out Robot Power’s almost blow up proof claim for their Scorpion XL’s. Smile

So far I have crashed the micro dozens of times in Bane and it just resets with a cold boot. No magic smoke like I was getting from the IBC’s as they went into shoot through.

So at least I can experiment with those scooter motors now.

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:41 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Started on a new version of Bane for Robowars. Smile

Just a simple drill powered version, it’s a nice change to build a Featherweight bot and not be concerned how big a weld is because of weight problems.

Now I know where Glen was coming from back in the Cobra days, weight points to burn.

Actually this is a version that I had planed a long time ago, it has room and weight for some Melty Brain funny business but first things first I wont it finished and driving in time for plenty driving practice. Cool

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:49 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

First drive just a few minutes ago. Smile

Almost finished so I can take it to work where I can practice driving.

Finished up not having room for the melty brain bits in this version either but it is a good test for a couple of features that will almost certainly end up in later versions.

Looks very similar to the original so no problem with the points carrying over.

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:09 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Got the LED’s and neon’s mounted today and the fluoro paint’s on.

Just got to finish polishing the chrome.

Those NSW bots don’t stand a chance. Very Happy

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:12 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounds like we'd better get some Rice-Boys as the style judges.. Razz

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

@Gary, post pics please. would be very interested to see the new version

@Brett and Gary-Style is for those who cant win on the other three area's Very Happy, im not worried though, if my matches go to a judges deceision then im my eyes i failed, eiher win spectacularly or lose even more spectacularly Razz Smile

Any more new items or improvements from your fleet this year Gary?

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:31 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Love to but then you would know what the coolest colors are going to be next season. Smile

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:37 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I will get Rob to do an updated pic for the wikka.

Special features of this model apart from the cosmetic ones are shock-mounted drills with adjustable ride height and a floating cowl or visor.
I refuse to call it a hinged wedge. Smile

The original Bane didn’t care which way was up this one works better one-way than the other.

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:16 pm