www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

total noob
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
cj

Cool, I don't want to start another discussion on it here Smile Thanks all for the feedback about my noob questions. I'll come back when I have started building something.

cj

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:11 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by cj:
I have seen there is an Open Source Motor Control thing, it looks about the same price as the IBC, what's the consensus with that?

The OSMC has about 4x the current handling capability of the IBC, *but*, you need *two* of them, plus a uMOB controller, thats why they look more economical on first glance. Each OSMC controls only 1 motor channel, and the RC->PWM Convertor is a seperate board, which complicates the installation and wiring.

Indeed, the IBC is basically TWO OSMC's and the controller on a single board, except the H-Bridges only have 1 Fet per leg, instead of 4, which is fine for most featherweights, unless you are building a powerful rammer that needs high current 4WD drive motors, in which case the RS80 or SideWinder look more suitable.

quote:
The rules mention a higher weight allowance for walking robots, is that the case. I haven't seen any - are they too hard to build?

Its not hard to build something that *looks* like its walking, which is what causes all the trouble. People were forever coming up with the latest "disguised camshaft" technique and claiming the weight bonus, which was then used in other (weapons or armour) areas, so the rule makers made the walker rules so stringent that noone bothers.

Part of the reason is that legs offer no advantages over wheels on a flat floor anyway (Other than the look cool factor), and are significantly weaker when a 13Kg wheeled brick hits them at 20mph. Perhaps if we move to an off-road arena they might make a comeback. Until then, the wheel is king.

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

no need to stay away untill you build something
we are a n00b friendly place.
especially to people who seem to be able to speak in full sentances and have obviously looked around the forum first, Gold star to you there lol.

Don't be afraid of asking questions even if they seem stupid we were all there once. If we can help your first bot be better than our first bots then so much the better.

Feel free to post CADs (either computer or cardboard) and such like, its amasing what a fresh set of eyes will do for a design.

Its great to see another builder getting into the sport, welcome and good luck.

(I can see we are going to have something to fear, Dx6 and hardox already, geez)

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

When I think back to what our first bots used to be like (mine was aluminium, perspex and wood) and the latest 'first time' bots, there is a huge improvement! It seems to be due to the increase of quality info here and in the wiki, plus the plentiful on-line advice we can give.

Getting a DX6 is a great start, U can't go wrong with that! Rather than hold off building untill you have a 'perfect' design, knock something up quickly with MDF and drill motors; it's a huge thrill to get your first frame rolling around and good for driving practise. Once you have some practical experience, you will come up with better ideas for your next design.

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:01 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy LOL i still use all mdf .....you just have to know all about the opposition ,thats the tough bit ..ive found that part to be the most difficult ,but at the same time it is the thing that keeps me interested i must say

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:57 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, today i got a chunk of 12mm mdf, jigsawed out slots for the wheels and gaffa taped the ibc, batteries and reciever in place to make an IBC driving practice rig, probably took less than 1hr solid work. Smile And oh so fun to drive!!!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:40 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

lol kinda wish i had pictures of my test bed lol that thing was funky to drive and i lernt a bit about castors then aswell but the thing i rember most was my grand idea of using tugstion (spelling) flywheel on a stainless clad Nightmare rig in 12kg (at the time that was the weight class) looking at it now it was so impractical especially for a first robot and the other thing being that getting everything into the right weight catagory would be nearly impossible lol

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:15 pm