Why is NSW so successful
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Totaly_Recycled:
mmm Big bus with built in fold out arena Very Happy

I would take that comment as a joke from anyone else, but Andrew can and has built anything.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:09 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i think its mainly because the robots are designed and built to take abuse from the big hitters.
anything weak or overly complex is weeded out.
anything structural is steel or thick aluminium, (or composite) the bots generally are pretty simple 3 motor jobbies (2 wheels and a wep)
and are normally built around making and taking big hits.

we remove the weakness from our bots before we make them ;->
because the other guy sure as heck will do it for you when its in the arena.

i think it also helps that pretty much everybody here builds their own bot, you dont have one person building a boatload of bots for lots of people, so we can really focus on just the one bot and making it as good as possiblle.

theres a fair amount of "construction assistance" that goes on too with the less equipt guys which helps them get their great ideas into working high quality bots.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes well the one area that I will concede that NSW is ahead of us Mexicans is in the number of individual builders.
I do find myself watching a lot of fights between bots that I have built or had a reasonable amount of impute in.

Its even worse for the vertex team as far as the ranking sitch goes as they enter so many bots that they always end up fighting and beating each other.

The thing that I find interesting is how even things are between dare I say it; the big three states, A couple of new builders one way or the other and the balance could easily change, If the banana benders end up with that Pom and his heavy bot and mobile arena who knows or maybe the WA guys might have something up there sleeve.

I think we are very close to having enough competitive reliable bots in Melbourne to put on a really good event, I don’t think there was a single dud fight at our last event,
There was a lot of filler matches and probably most of you don’t even know that the NMO team had a novelty bot there again a different one to last time.
This one is I think called laundry basket and it entertained the crowd doing a mock fight with Minimower. Smile

As bots were eliminated they kept coming back to do grudge matches etc and give the remanning competitors time for repairs.
Brett was being strict on the turnaround times and apart from a couple of close calls everyone was ready to rumble when called.
If you are reading this Brett can you tell how many fights we had in how long including fillers etc? I think that would be a good indication of how well we have our act together.

Ok I know putting on a show is irrelevant to the Sydneysiders but its something I for one take seriously. Sidetracked looks after us really well, we use the corporate room for our pits and builders meets.
They put up and take down the arena.
They look after the insurance, one of the biggest hurdles we faced in the early days, Heck they even provide us with a urn full of boiling water, all the coffee & tea makings and a fridge to keep the cokes cool. Enough pit table space for at least a dozen bots with heaps of power points and the place is carpeted and even heated. Barry lets us use his extensive workshop facilities for emergency repairs and has even welded things for the guys that can’t weld, plenty of parking space snack bar for food on premises espresso machine, have to actually pay for that though.
Brett and Mel didn’t even charge the $10 a bot entry fee last time.
One of the most important fringe benefits is that Brett organises a pro photographer to video all the fights with a good 3 chip camera and we have a live audience to cheer and enjoy our bots fighting.
Anyhow at the art show I met 2 people who were very interested and are definitely possibilities as far as becoming builders but yes I think we would all agree that builders are a relatively scarce commodity.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:58 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Yes i agree with Garry there is nothing beter than haveing your robots perform in front of a crowd .At the last Robo wars event i put the bots that didnt have to fight next in the arena as well for fillers when i had the chance to do so even Heaamorage went back in after being partly dismantled by plan B.
If we get a few more queensland bots and teams i will probaly go back to only takeing one or two bots to events and concentrate on those instead of trying to keep four or five running for the whole event to keep up bot numbers .
I would rather let the kids drive and just do the battery charging ect ..i get the most enjoyment actualy turning a pile of junk into something that can be controled and hold its own against other bots .

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:07 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=895

i think i really missed the point

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

geese Mel, ULTRA RANDOM Razz

Geese Glen, YOUR SIC

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=895

Is that why Zara likes you Glen Laughing

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

go nsw wooo lol, well i guess the obvious answer in regards to rankings is nsw some 12-13 events to qld's 6-7? clearly with more events theres going to be greater rankings.

but hey its all about the fun

quote:
had a 12kg robot 'white tip' driving with a cable at the time

lol yeah and i remember it flipping over that RC car, savage battle it was

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Mmm I am only guessing here guys but just in case I am in trouble I was not trying to make an exhaustive list of every feature and highlight of the last round.
I think I was trying to make an observation on builder numbers and the fact that nsw qld & vic have gone abought thing quite differently.
I don’t wont to argue which way is right or best, it’s a free country, anyone can build a bot or start a comp however they like, time will tell what works.

One notable exception that I will make however and that I feel that I should correct is that I neglected to mention Mel providing us all with scones and rock cakes to keep us going through the afternoon.
Even after Ballistic knocked scoopy out of the round, thanks Mel Smile

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:41 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Is it wise to revive this old thread? Laughing
Actualy I wanted to put up a proposition... a big event at Fox Studios? Absolutly above me but perhaps it might be a nice idea to have the next major robowars here? Either that or back in melbourn.. whateva! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Does FOX have a stadium setup? Its a good location to attract an audience but they seem very commercial and would probably not put up any money to help us like the Ideas festival did. While I would definitely like to see an event like Robowars in Sydney, we need to find a venue to help cover costs, insurance and promotion. Then we need an arena...

Another idea that was kicked around in Brisbane was to find a larger event that needed something as a sideshow to cover pauses in their own program - possibly car racing. Then we need an arena...

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 pm 
andrew

uiet NOOB (clubs angus Razz) just kidding bud.

I reckon quite simply a event up here unless somebody like ideas festival or similar paid us to do it would be way out of the way and not be able to do it.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing The best bet would be to find an event or organiser that would pay, then beg Brett & Garry to bring their arena up to Sydney. I don't think we should sell the idea short, organisers often need fill-in shows in a larger program and they are used to paying professional entertainers - we come quite a bit cheaper! Show them some footage of Retread flaming opponents or the spinners launching their victims across the arena and they might just go for it.

Perhaps the first thing to do is get our very own Spielberg <nods to Prong> to edit together a show reel.

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:10 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe you could stick in last events melay too! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:23 am