www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Hobart

Author    Thread
stoneage

Hobart

Anyone from Hobart? Cuase Im new to robotics and stuff and need someone to help me get started.

So, anyone willing to help me get started building a bot for the RoboWars and live in Hobart, please tell me.

Because RoboWars is in NSW, VIC and QLD I may have problems finding someone to help over here, so if you can give me some good info on what parts to buy for a good strong and fast bot, email me at marcel@compxlan.com

NOTE
I am on a low budget as far as these things go

- STONEAGE

-- http://compxlan.com --

Last edited by stoneage on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

add me to msn and ill give you a hand (just as long as your not planning some stupidly impossible robot like a heavyweight full body spinner or something lol)

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
stoneage

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
add me to msn

Can you add me, seeing that isnt working.. .my MSN is marcel@compxlan.com

Last edited by stoneage on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:41 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Do you have any plans or weapon types in mind, Stoneage? You could start a build thread and talk about the specific ideas with which you need help. Questions like "Should I use battery drills for drive?" are very easy to answer. Questions like "How do I build a robot?" are likely to be unpopular.

There is a lot of good information on this site. You can use the search function, up in the top right of the screen, to find threads that might be helpful to you.

Good luck.

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:03 pm 
stoneage

Well, I know the basics of how to build a bot. But have no idea what is compatable and will work best.

So, thanks, I might look arround the site more and do alot of reading before I go spending $600 or something.

And my weapon choice is a saw. A few ideas on where to put it, but thats all I have so far.

But, the main reason I need a person in Hobart is I dont have any of the tools except a power-drill and jig-saw. So, im asking my mates if they have some stuff like welding etc.

And I want to get in touch with someone local who has already build a bot so they can show me and tell me about it and how they built it.

Well, I havent got further than plans of a few, and will be looking more after new year holidays end and shops open again.

- STONEAGE

Last edited by stoneage on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i built my first robots with a jigsaw and cordless drill, thats enough to get you started. read through the build threads and see what people use the failures they had etc..

first and foremost though just go out and build something, ANYTHING. i find thats the best way to learn

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:13 pm 
stoneage

Yeah, I have been reading about building combat robots. And have found some very useful sites.

One good one, like RoboWars, is War Bots Extreme , its a compition based in canada much like RoboWars.

But, they have a nice guide to help builders. So, take a look if your looking for some build tips etc.

http://www.warbotsxtreme.com/Builders-Guide.htm

Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:00 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Would you like to mount the saw horizontally or vertically?

A good place to start on is the drive motors. Most of us use modified cordless drills to drive our robots. You get batteries and a motor with a gearbox quite cheaply. You can also make speed controllers from the drill triggers. http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623&highlight=drill+trigger

Glen is right in saying go out and build something. Soon you will be the experienced roboteer and everyone in Tassie will be coming to you for advice.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:30 am 
stoneage

quote:
Originally posted by Philip Taylor:
Would you like to mount the saw horizontally or vertically?

A good place to start on is the drive motors. Most of us use modified cordless drills to drive our robots. You get batteries and a motor with a gearbox quite cheaply. You can also make speed controllers from the drill triggers. http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623&highlight=drill+trigger

Glen is right in saying go out and build something. Soon you will be the experienced roboteer and everyone in Tassie will be coming to you for advice.

I dont know, I will probally just get a motor and stick the saw blade on it, then start testing it on some scrap metal to see which would work best for my designs. (Well, Ill do it safer than just stick it on, but yeah)

And I will almost definightly use cordless drills for the engine. Thanks for that link.

And I will try and build something, then become and expreinced roboteer and start something in Hobart.

- STONEAGE

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:19 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Have you made any progress?

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:56 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

A good idea to start, and what alot of people do, is just get a square of plywood/mdf, strap the drill motors on (even with gaffa), add switch controlers or ibc and just use the batterypacks which came with the drill. One hard part is the wheels, but for a start you can just screw them loosly onto the shaft of the drill, but they keep falling off Laughing
This is what my crapcart looked like lol, worked though, which gives you an awsome feeling of achievment hehe.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/dyrodium/Picture.jpg eek out of focus lol Sad

Your welcome to add me to your msn too, i've only been building for about a year now but know alot of info on building on a budget (still in school lol). Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:57 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

your kinda in the same situation im in at the moment.(me being in WA and all) a couple of tips hunt around for the smaller busnesses for custom parts you couldnt'(or cant be buggered) to find or make as they will usually take the job and give you a bit of a discount if you explane what your doing how your doing it and why(thats the one which really intrests them). if you desperate for spare parts visit junkshops but they are usually way overpriced for the goods they sell.

Also try going round to schools/unis in your area and trying to float the subject with whoever is incharge of the metal fabrication or metal work leasons to see if you cant get any one interested but remember that. other groups you may want to try ar RC clubs they tend to love anything radio controled and a few may be willing to start

one final thing before i go keep building and keep visitin this site to keep you interested. its one thing to lose heart and go to build meet after a while to spur you back into it, its another to get half way thought it and shelve it to do on a later date an to forget about it
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:48 pm