www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

tank treads
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
so the fabled vertex becomes a legend and from legend to myth where peple gathered round a smoldering bot talk about a robot that had it IC engine internally

No, people usually crowd around it to look at the magical flywheel Andrew built for it. Being able to turn the flywheel on and off without loosing more then 25% of the kinetic energy is a sweet thing to have in a heavyweight

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:07 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I have some video's of Andrew riding Vertex around my front yard from RoboWars 1 with fire and smoke coming from the HPC (Human powered Controllers).. Smile

556 Meg though, they're in uncompressed AVI format. Perhaps a CD if you cant find your media of it ?

Post Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wilko

sorry about the other day i was in a bit of a bad mood and also with the fuel tank i was going to pivot it caus if the bot gets flipped and its upside down the petrol will leak out of the breather on the lid and i just thought it would be good to use an ice caus were getting one for free

Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:16 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

If you used an i/c engine you would have to prove to the scrutineer that the fuel tank can not leak in any position .so you would have to use a tank with special one way valve that lets the air in but does not let the fuel out ..Most modern whipper snipers and chain saws have these fitted as standard .

Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:58 pm 
Damien (not Damian)

Weight Bonuses

Answering your question, Wilko, in Battlebots, walkers get a weight bonus because of their weight, but tracked robots don't.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:47 pm 
wilko

and i thought we might be able to build somthing like that caus we've got ALOT of machinery and one of the guys in my team his dad is a certified machanic so he's picked up alot of skill from his dad and also could u use a few sprokets just with a chain around it for tracks?? Question

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

im guessing this is your first robot and no one round you has buildt one like this.
there is a reason no one uses track bots it's because they offer no useful bonus in "normal" battle conditions you would probly get the same effectiveness as a 4 wheel bot with the front wheels driven by a v belt off the back wheels (seperate pully system needed)

as for your sprocket idea i don't really see how it would work, chain links offer little to nil traction on most smooth surfaces. (try attaching smooth stainless to the bottom of your shoes and go for a run around the arena, take video camera Very Happy)

also haveing a mechanic on hand isn't needed but it can help (mine used to work on everthing from minis up) just a general idea of how certain stuff will work together and a broad mind will work just as well.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yet another dans-data link for Track Afficiondo's.. (I'm more into Rotors myself Wink

http://www.dansdata.com/sherman.htm

I thought i had some info and good pics that would be of interest...

Post Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Just thought this might be relevant to this thread...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Stanton-robotics-DUCTRAT-remote-visual-inspection-robot_W0QQitemZ7569406816QQcategoryZ105776QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Would YOU pay 16500 for a timingbelt driven robot? Very Happy
Well... i think it can get alway with it seeing as its not about to face any robot wanting to rip it to bits...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:46 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I might buy a couple of dozen.

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:51 pm 
cerberus3112

hey this looks a time to cash in if we start makeing robots that have tank treads and with spy cameras on top and recievers the parts would cost about $500-2000+ we could sell them muhahahahahahahah Twisted Evil

Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:51 pm 
wilko

has any one heard of using LOTS of hinges and bolting them together and using them for tank tracks. also how hard is it to get ur hands on some chainsaw chain (for a weapon)

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:51 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Hinges . . . dunno, but I dont think they would work that great and would be pretty heavy. For the chainsaw chain, im pretty sure bunnings would have it, but if not, just go down to your nearest mowing / power tool place, they'll have it for sure.

ffej.net

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

flea markets has chainsaw chain cheap as well.

whats the point of a hinge system, with solid steel its not gunna have any traction which is kinda the point of tracks

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:56 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

[quote

whats the point of a hinge system, with solid steel its not gunna have any traction which is kinda the point of tracks[/quote]

Hmm I think I would have a different opinion there: the whole point of tracks is to not get bogged in soft soil snow mud sand etc. Tracked vehicles are normally massively heavy; but because the tracks cover an equally huge area the ground loading is less than a wheeled vehicle so they don’t sink in.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:53 am