www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Weapons and Counter-measures
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Weapons and Counter-measures

hehe, could brett or mel wave their magic wand and move the last few posts from roadkills thread to here? It's an interesting subject, seeing as some very powerfull robots are coming into play in aus and your simple bunnings ali L angle bot will no longer do! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:25 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

by last few posts you mean last few pages of posts Wink

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:32 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Unfortunately not, You cant merge posts from one thread into another. Only split them of finto a new topic.

So Mel will probably delete this thread and start another one of the same name.

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Aw ok thats fine Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:19 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Instead of the NSW boys turning another thread into a pro/anit-Jolt thread I'll requoate Prongs message here.

quote:
while those forks work well against megabyte I dont think they would be effective against Jolt.

The reason why a simple wedge cannot own Jolt is that it has ground scraping titanium wedges, so far various wedges and scoops have had no luck getting underneath them.

If we could reliably get under Jolt it would be too easy, scoop him up and ram him into the wall!!

I find making a good wedge is tricky, on a fast rambot a ground scraping wedge tends to get caught on the floor very easily and throw the bot around or slow it down, but Jolt is a lot slower so he does not really get affected by the wedges catching on things.

The trick is to try and wedge from the sides (or behind now the rear wedge is gone) but it is pretty hard to get in to the sides or behind Jolt, since he can rapidly spin on the spot to face you.

I have a few plans for getting past the wedge, but the main problem is that one mess up with driving means the robot takes a hit and usually that is bad news!

And what about Jolt's sides? Hasn't anyone tried attacking those? Or do you all just sit back and line up you hits instead of manouvering?
Also Hellbringer's hinged wedge never had trouble at 30km/h, even on a rough drive way.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:23 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

ahhh, I did mention the sides....

thats what we go for (until nick gets smart and adds more wedges)
The problem with attacking the sides as I said is that Jolt can spin very rapidly on the spot, so it is very easy for him to keep the front wedge aimed at the attacking bot.

I think the main problem with the ground scraping wedge is that in order to have a chance to get under Jolts wedge it needs a very thin sharp edge that stays very flat on the floor, but in a high speed bot it tends to bounce up and down a little, even if weighted or spring loaded and even a tiny bounce up means it ends up on top of Jolts wedge not under it.

Jolts moves a lot slower or is spinning ont he spot so his wedge tends to be scraping the ground better.

What we need to do is be able to attack the side and back from the front, but it is still very easy for any part of the bot to get wedged up into the blade and ripped off Razz

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:34 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

the wedges on jolt are good because they are so stupidly thin, like 1.6mm. i tried using some 1.6mm steel on kang and it got under it once before it bent up and got fairly smashed.

interesting thing with jolt is even when it hits bob or cobra which have flat sides it always seems to bounce upwards. a good hard ram should do a good job getting it over if youve got a robot ~ 80mm tall.

one thing i like though is it has flat sides now, before it had those tapered in sides which made it a little hard to push.

one thing i am itching to see if itll work though is the little forks im going to put on top of king cobra as something to help it push people around... im hoping itll go well against the drums too as they can go straight up the wedge and then the curvy shape of it should slow the drum down. interesting idea anywhos, provided they dont get torn off first go.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v357/Cobrarobotics/?action=view&current=Cobranewcad.jpg

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Don't worry Prong, I have some new ideas about the sides & rear of Jolt. There is about 400g of spare weight still, so I am looking at disposable plastic armour in various shapes. It's not designed to stop heavy hitters like the Planners or Orbit but it should slow down Retread and Kang. there is also a possibility of a small rear wedge making a come-back appearance...

The new front wedge is a bit thicker but I will be grinding a bevel on it to make it's leading edge even thinner. The last wedge doesn't seem to have any dents on the front edge and even after this season's bruising impacts it has not bent, so the new one should stand up well.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:30 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hehe well Nick, dont worry, I spent lots time I should be studying thinking of ghetto ways to try and beat Jolt.

the problem is that any design has to be able to beat Jolt and any other robot...

So it looks like I will be going with multiple ghetto weapons and I can swap on speedbump, since it only weighs 6.8kg.

In theory one of the extra weapons could be another speedbump, making it a cluster hehe

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:37 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think it was Napoleon who said something about not distracting your enemy while he is making a mistake and I realise you Sydney siders have to face Jolt on a regular basis but do you really believe that the Mexican and Banana bender bots are such a push over that you don’t even need to consider your strategy with regard to them? Smile

Might I point out that the intention is to seed the first round so no same state bots fight each other first round?

So you are guaranteed not to have to fight Jolt first round. That honour falls to one of us other Guys or Mell. Rat volunteers. Very Happy

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

most true, but dont worry im sure ill somehow be drawn against jolt irregardless... it always happens hehe.

so is there going to be any flippers at robowars? if not that could make things quite easy. was getting pretty worried about having to fight ballistic again... damn aerials.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:31 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hehe we are worried about the others, but after seeing Jolt shred a few robots its hard not to consider it the biggest threat, especially since we have to face it every event!

among others Scoopy has me worried, since all my robots tend to be made of soft stuff, but then again speedbump is way to wide to fit into the scoop.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:39 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Scoopy isn’t the only overhead saw; Skeletor has an overhead saw as well. Cool

He isn’t finished yet .I will post a picture soon.

Brett wants all the competing Vic bots ready or close to at out next builders meeting so I will need to keep moving on him and Bender.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:01 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hehe cool, basically any bot that has the potential to make my bot unable to fight its next fight has me worried.

loseing doesnt worry me much, as long as I can keep fighting.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:03 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Oh regarding Ballistic we gutted out as far as entering him. Embarassed

We didn’t won’t him totally destroyed by Jolt. 0.6mm skin I don’t call it armour doesn’t cut it these days so I quite understand your predicament with Jolt.

We also understand that a Hazard clone is a very difficult and expensive bot to get right and it’s not a design we would attempt on our budget.

Jolt is a very gutsy effort. I am very glad that nick has done it because in my opinion a really nasty spinner is necessary for a balanced comp.

This rock paper heavyweight comp the Pomes persevered with just doesn’t work for me, cant leave out the scissors.

We are going to build a new Ballistic but he will be smaller and have thicker skin. Smile

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:20 pm