www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Skids...

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Skids...

This topic has been bothering me for a while, and there wasn't a topic already on it... so Smile .

I'm wondering what the peeps unfortunate enough to only have two drive wheels on their bots use for skids (ie materials and casters). My main problem has been achieving satisfactory low ground clearance with a low friction skid. i've found that PVC pipe works well, but joining it to the frame is difficult unless you use the whole pipe diameter (big!). Any help would be great, as for roadkill if theres too much friction up front my steering goes down the drain! Sad
Cheers! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:29 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Most people have used chopping board plastic with good results. If you make a skid with tapered sides, it will ride over small imperfections on the floor quite well.

Attach the skids with hard steel countersunk screws. The plastic skids wear down fairly quickly (particularly on concrete) and the screw heads start to support the bot, while the edges of the skid get you over the bumps.

I think Kang just has 2 large screws on the front of the frame, with their heads resting on the floor. My beetleweight rides on a single button head screw under the weapon shaft and it seems to get around the arena OK.

Whatever way you go, just make sure the screws are easy to replace as they do wear out.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:00 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

bolts are probably the go if you need a really tall skid, but the plastic works pretty good, uhmw that is to say

i personally just let the robot drag itself around on the floor. its much easier than using skids. only reason kang has them is to stop its saw head-butting the floor.

pvc wouldnt be good to use, its ultra brittle and id imagine it would wear down really fast.

ask gary or brett what the use on reboot and mini-mower, i think there called magic sliders or something but they are like a little skid plate with a bolt on the end or some such with really low friction.

unforunate to have 2wd? pfshh 2wd IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE Cool

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

We made 25mm poly rollers for Annihilation and Haemorrhage. Works a treat as they help keep the bot in a straight line but also allow you to turn with out a lot of friction.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:38 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm ok, thanks! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:43 pm