www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

hypotheticals?

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hypotheticals?

what do you think our competitions would be like in 1 year from now if we banned wedges totally.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I think it would become alot harder for new participants if wedges were baned. I think that our sport would grow more slowly for this reason.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:20 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think people who have the cash to through will win more matches because they will actually be able to defend themselves with large magmotors and oodles of titanium. Right now, it doesn't matter how farkin big your spinner is, a wedge will always give you the hardest time around!

I would rather see ram box dissappear over wedges. Wedges can actually do something Cool

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:31 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
be interesting to see a bot pick up another bot to use that as a weapon.

Sproing does that very well..... when it works... *nudges Andrew*

EDIT: Where did Angus's post go.... Confused

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:33 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The most one sided fight I have had was against Cheese Wedge. Marauder was completely owned.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:38 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

My posts? Shocked

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:43 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Flippers might be more popular, since hinged wedges are about the best protection against a flipper.

The alternative to deflecting energy with a wedge is absorbing it with thicker armour, so there will be a bunch of boring bricks.

The wedge is the worst enemy of the spinner so there will be more spinners, divided into massive "totally offensive" designs to get through thicker armour and designs that are really armoured bricks with a token weapon attached somewhere.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:44 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I dont understand why wedges should be banned why not ban spinners or lifter bots or brick bots ..? I think that wedges are an easy type for beginners to build and can aslo be a good secondary wheapon like on most of our bots once arena's start geting uneven floors and stuf they wil get phased out naturaly then again the question was what would matches be a year dwon the track .. my opinion is that we would end up with a heap of spinners flippers and brick bots more so spinners and bricks as they are easier to build than flippers ..

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:48 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

As I've said before "Banning X-Type Bots" is going against the robotic evolution paradigm of this sport. If you want to the beasts to change, alter the environment, and they will change to suit.

Put some bumps in the floor. leave gaps at the edge of the arena and dont allow unsticks, dont consider a "wedging" to be a damaging attack if it doesnt actually do damage.

None of these "ban" anything, you'r still perfectly entiteled to build a wedge, just dont expect to win with it. everyone wants to win of course, so wedges dissapear.

Keep the floor flat and unstick-friendly, and consider a "wedgie" to be an offensive move, and wedgies will abound.

I think altering the environment is the best way to encourage people to change their tactics without having to flat come out and say "X is banned"

Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

where are my posts are starting to disappere to Confused.
like i said before

seperate the kinds

stick your defencive bots in an arena with just defencive bots and put an object or a weapon in the arena that can be picked up. to score you have to think bout where and what you are going to do next as apose to just mindlessly running in to each other

If you did the classes it would allow someone to build some thing and not have it totaly destroyed in there first match by some unkind spinner.

It would be interesting to see a bot pick up a bot/weapon with some stategy behind it not just running under stuff and it getting stuck on top.

As for banning them i think it we will lose a large part of our future contenders due to lack of intrest
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:47 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Big AL:
where are my posts are starting to disappere to Confused.

Hey Al, are your posts appearing as posted properly, *then* vanishing ? or are they not posting properly after you have written then ? Soem more information would be good there. Is anyone else havign dissapearing post problems ? (I'm not and havent heard of any others yet)

---

The "should <insert boring robot here> be banned ?" question has been discussed quite a bit before on various forums and the best answer I have seen is that its badly-executed examples of *any* bot type that is boring, not the type itself.

Maximus/Blue Max is a "boring 4WD Wedge", yet anyone who has seen any of its matches will agree that its anything but boring.. As jake put it, if it can make the other bot get significant air-time by bouncing it off the wall and into the air at 30mph, then it is deserving of the name "rammer"

A poorly made "Yet-Another-Bar-Spinner" that slowly limps around the arena, deals out a big hit or two, then falls apart from its own energy kickback does not make for an exciting competition either, despite it not being a "boring" wedge - it just spoils the game for those unlucky enough to have to face it in its first fight or two while its still fresh..

A dedicated builder who puts thought and effort into making their bot interesting, creative and reliable is what makes the difference between a square box with a spike attached to it, and something like ArachnoPhobia, which is exactly the same "type" of bot, yet is visually interesting and exciting to watch fight.

I dont think that banning any particular type is the answer to making to more exciting matches, instead, keeping the ratio of skilled builders vs new builders (who are still figuring out how to keep it all together) relatively low - (ie, not having too many newbies starting off at the same event) is probably a better solution.

Having a "beginners" class *might* be a solution, although as we've seen so far, nobody seems to *want* to play in the beginners class so far, they all want to jump straight into the ring with the experienced builders & drivers (probably not realising what they're in for).

Perhaps we should do what they used to do in the Go-Kart racing game - When there were too many newbie's at one event, they would put them all into a seperate heat together, and only the best of the "L" plater winners would get a spot (at the back of the starting grid) in the main heat. At the end of each heat, you had to get your "Learners" Go-Kart licence signed by 2 of the marshalls saying you didnt do anything stupid, and after 3 heats with no black marks against you, *then* you "graduated" into a full licenced driver and could compete without handicap in the full-races.

BattleBots and Robot Wars did something similair with their "qualifying" rounds that you had to pass prior to getting into the TV rounds where the fighting got serious..

Or to turn a phrase I saw as a bumper-sticker on a V8 Muscle-car once.. "Ban Low-performance drivers, not high-performance Cars !" Laughing

Lots of work to administer though, and probably not necessary at this stage of the game, unless we get a sudden influx of newbies that all want spots at a public event, which lowers the overall quality of the "show" significantly as they have to sort out their teething troubles in front of the audience..

Worth keeping in mind as the sport grows though..

Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Id really like a beginers class. Smile
Thats very true though, theres alot of interesting wedges. Smile
Yep.....ban magmotor and EV warrior spinners... Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:45 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

We do need to make it easier on beginners. Maybe we could just have one on one battles with beginners and some selected less destructive robots, (who have already been knocked out of the competition). These fights would not count towards the rankings and therefore be more friendly. These fights would also serve to give the competitors still in the comp time for battery recharging and the like.

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:52 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

LOL, problem solved! Smile
We're starting a small lightweight comp down here, no spinners allowed (for now anyway). This means i can build a bot without needing all the $$$ mechinery that you need to cut and weld ali, steel and Ti accuratly. Also, today at marayong i witnessed a very important key factor in the intrest people have with matches. UNIQUNESS
It was the axecutioner... An 300w axe bot, and speed-bump, half a thick conduit plastic tube that was about 1.5m long and 15cm wide with 4 drill motors for POWER. These was by far my favourite robots of the day, and the reason wasn't for death-factor (however speed-bump did come 2nd!), or for $$$ factor (with both costing less than any of the other bots). They was just DIFFERENT. They're innovation and experimenting that makes matches exciting. The americans went wild over "that darn dustpan" due to its uniqueness. Sure, it wasnt too effective, but it had that "cool" factor that makes some robots stand out from the rest. I dont see why we should ban wedges even more than thinking we should ban saw-bots, i just think matches are more interesting when people probe into the unknown Very Happy
Hence why i'm making a lightweight robot, it gives me that freedom to experiment without being slaughtered by jolt orbit and plan b .
Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:42 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

thats what i was sort of getting at.

also withe the dissapering post maybe it was just the computer or net stuffing up??? Confused
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:33 pm