www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

robot wars UK help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Waddy the phoenix

very true in that fact glen as is people spend hundreds of $$ on feathers so looking at that heavys rack it up quick also i think it was the lasck of a slow growth through feathers up and that robotwars was only heavys and that you look at it if it had from hobby weightrs up it oulda probably lasted longer as people woulda have realised that they could build them but beca use they only had the heavys shown on tv and not any thing much smaller but if people knew there was a lower class and it had some populariety the target age group wouldent have realised as much that they couldent build but a big thing that i think all of us are guilty for is wanting to build the heavys see not many people want to start small that could have something to do with it...

(sorry for no spaces but i dident thing it needed em :S)

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:29 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Ever considered a career as a horse-racing commentator wade ? Razz

However, I agree that the big gap from hobby/feathers to heavies is probably a big part of the UK woes as well..

US BattleBots had lightweights and middleweights on their TV show and as a result those classes were well-filled by those who couldnt swing a heavyweight.. The UK seemed to be mainly "TV heavies and then everyone-else", so once the TV-$ went away and heavies became uneconomically feasible then they got all depressed.

For anyone who thinks building a heavy wouldnt be that much more expensive, start thinking in the hundreds of dollars for your drive motors (instead of $15 drills), speed controllers around $1000, 10x the battery power required, battery chargers that can push out enough amps to recharge those massive batteries quickly, trailers to move them around and so on..

Personally, I'm quite pleased we're presently working with featherweights.. I like being able to fit my robot on my workbench and in my cars boot and they dont look that different on TV (which makes everything look small)

Post Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Well said.
(I like the fact that were working with featherweights too 'cause it means I can build one! Very Happy )

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:35 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

That's the thing with t.v., you only discover what they want to show you.

My first introduction to robot combat was of course the UK t.v. show, I had no idea until "real robots" magazine came along that there were other weight classes and that the sport existed outside of the media. Confused

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:33 pm 
tunna

Irecon spockie was just about right on all points

tony (Bulldog Breed) :O

Post Mon May 16, 2005 12:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger