www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Online E-Machining Shop with Free Cad Software

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Online E-Machining Shop with Free Cad Software

Greetings all.. I just came across this interesting service that might be of interest to the building community.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

"eMachineShop is the remarkable new way to get the custom parts you need. Download our free software, draw your part, and click to order - it's that easy! Your part will be machined and delivered. Even better, your cost is low due to the Internet, software, and automated machines."

It would probably be fairly pricey by the time you ship to Australia, but given the trouble with finding a CNC shop that is happy to work in one-offs locally, it might be worth considering. The free CAD software is a good idea too.. no messing around with different formats and so on.

I'm sure a CAD guru like Ajax would enjoy this service, people like Gary who enjoy creating things out of bits and pieces probably wouldnt.. is anyone else interested ?

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looks good indeed. I'm downloading the software as i type and I'm interested in getting some parts made too!

[EDIT]: Just found this picture on there site. Looks like a roboteer from the US has already dealt with Emachineshop.com

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:13 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i love the concept,

although i dont like the price, i got a price of $114 just to have a 200mm diameter disc cut out of 6mm mild steel.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

The drama with thin discs it that they are hard to machine, require alot of machine setup time, for not much result. These guys look like CNC specialiast's, so they dont want to spend hours with machine time just for setup. They would much prefer to use standard bar stock & rough it out of that. As 200 OD bar stock it A: rare, B: Expensive & C: Hard to part off when finished, thus the price.

If you have intergrated teeth on the OD that just complicated the issus & makes it impossible to machine on a lathe.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:51 pm