RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

My next bot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hydraulic crusher

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

that's also an interesting option.
I've been playing with a few ideas for how to do that too.

I reckon a high pressure car EFI fuel pump could do a decent job of providing light weight hydraulic pressure too.

Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

the ABS pump can also be used i am led to believe..

you could probably use the hydraulics from car brakes in the system as well which would make the whole thing alot easier. (or maybe not lol).

a hydraulic crusher would be interesting, original for our competition and effective. seems to fill the criteria of what you wanted Smile

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

The hydraulic pump needs to be positive displacemnt pump. Therefore I dont think a fuel pump will work. As soon as any load is applied the fuel pump will stall / cavitate & not provide anymore pressure.

A much better option would be a oil pump of a motorbike engine. These are gear pumps & designed to pump oil under pressure, maybe a bit heavy but who knows?

A hydraulic clutch master cylinder, with the plunger hooked up to an arm on a w/w motor would also be a source hydraulic power.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:00 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Car parts are something I have a good selection of Smile

The high pressure fuel pumps used in EFI systems are generally a positive displacement gear type pump, with the motor immersed in the fuel being pumped (for cooling / lubrication). I think it'd work fine with hydraulic fluid as well. With the normal pressure releif disabled they'll do a couple of hundred PSI, but that might not really be enough.

I do have an ABS unit as well, but it's very heavy, and they use a lot of power so I don't think it'd be easy to get into a 12kg bot. I will look into that idea though.

The most compact hydraulic pump I can think of is a modern power steering pump. Once you remove the brackets, etc they're pretty small and light - and just need a motor to drive it. I think a drill motor / gearbox could work ok.

I'm trying to get hold of an electric power steering pump though, and the ram used to drive the rear wheel steering in some Nissans. That could be interesting to play with Smile

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Think i have settled on my next bot. Have decided to revisit Diesector in its entirety. Wont bother with the tobar on an arm idea as its too boring.
The only way to achieve all those motors and weapons is to go up to a lightweight so thats what i will be building.
4 wheels. 2 actuated jaws and probablty the hammers. Have about 70% of the parts and it looks sweet as, Designing roll cage, thats fiddly then will get Gary to weld it up once have finished planning, Feel like a weight has lifted as I dont have to worry about 12 kg. Will probablt build it to about 20kgs and have some room to move if want to add something like a saw or heaps of batterys.
Need to settle on a wheel size as the design is based on that, have some rims and considering putting on the rubber myself, Does anyone know how to do that?

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:55 pm 
andrew

ask aaron as he made the phat go kart like wheels on t2m and they look and work very well.

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:58 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah I saw those and was going to try that but the hubs i intend to use are made from 2 wheels where the hubs have a left and right side. Am using each piece as a wheel so it means that the inside shape of the hub is not flat so thinking a moulded rubber would fix that up as well as stick to the rim.
Was it Plan b that moulded their own wheels?

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:04 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

From Rotwang Gary will make some Improvments to ballistic and Fragmentor in hope of making it possible for them to self right.

There will be an experimental Mini mower build with much faster drum Twisted Evil And a second generation Mini Mower which will be much the same but with some changes here and there Smile

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:48 pm 
andrew

about time. I think when i mentioned it to Gary at the event it was the 20th (literally) time i sugested cranking up taht drum faster.

Get more of a helious drum than a lifting device. I cant wait to see it.

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:42 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmmmmm , no new bot for now ,still working on perfecting the 1st one Very Happy ill develop sorry to be the best it can, then i think ill fiddle about with a new one ....but im very keen on twin saw blades side by side ....in a middle weight Razz

Post Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:07 pm